The oldest botanic garden in the Czech Republic, it was founded by Charles IV in the 14th century. The garden was originally in the Smichov quarter but was moved to the current site in 1898 as it was frequently flooded when the river Vltava overflowed. The huge greenhouses date from 1938. Special botanical exhibitions and shows of exotic birds and tropical fish are often held here. One special feature of the gardens is the giant water lily, whose enormous leaves can support the weight of a small child.