The Loreto in Prague was constructed in 1626 when it replaced several houses that were left abandoned after the Battle of White Mountain in 1620. Finishing the church took quite a few years. The construction started with the Holy Stable, the central building of the Loreto, representing the legendary stable in which Saint Mary supposedly lived in Nazareth. The sculptures as we can see them today were added to the church only after 1640.
The Stable in the center of the church was gradually surrounded by a two-storey cloister. In each corner there was a chapel. In 1735, Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, one of the most prominent architects in Prague at that time, replaced the central chapel in the east wing with a Church to the Nativity of the Lord.
One of the most attractive parts of the Loreto is the treasury where many liturgical objects and jewels dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries have been preserved.